PLANNING ROLE – Reporting to Company Directors
Responsibility for determining the production capacity needed by a glass manufacturing organisation to meet shifting demands within a niche industry. Excellent understanding on how a manufacturing company of our size within the glass industry operates and capability to plan for future capacity requirements. Undertakes planning activities to ensure targets are met and optimises manufacturing efficiency, stock levels and costs. An excellent customer service coordinator with good understanding and visualisation of commercial projects within the construction industry. Just as important will be your ability to integrate software with current glass processing machines and developing in-house software to improve capacity planning system. Ultimately, decisions and results have an impact on the function and their success therefore, performance affects the function’s image.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical engineering
• Experience in a capacity planning role within a niche industry that manufactures bespoke insulated glass products (min. 2 years).
• Good understanding of the construction industry with an excellent knowledge of glass production/manufacturing processes.
• Excellent knowledge of the mechanics of highly specialised glass processing machines.
• Must have glass processing software experience and knowledge both in usage and development (min. 2 years).
• Must have experience capacity planning for a company that produces approx. 5000 finished products a week.
• Language skills imperative – Ability to communicate with software development team in India.
• Some prior experience of directing the development of capacity/forecasting software models and undertaking complex analysis to create accurate information.
• Proven management skills with the ability to optimise team performance and development.
• Highly skilled communicator with the ability to communicate complex concepts to others.
• Strong IT systems knowledge and skills including advanced Excel skills and the ability to learn new software packages.
• Customer service coordinator – Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to form and maintain strong relationships internally and externally.
• Commercial and financial acumen with a strong understanding of the cost of failure both the production and the ability to fulfil customer orders.
• Highly developed analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Excellent attention to detail skills.
• Highly developed numeracy, statistical and reporting skills with the ability to analyse, interpret and manage information, data, and trends.
• Specialises in automotive, electronics and robotic engineering.
• Knowledge and experience of project management skills
• Results orientated and able to prioritise workload to meet deadlines the ability to motivate others to deliver.
• Shows moral courage, openness, and honesty in all dealings.
• Resilient, flexible and works well under pressure.
• Identify opportunities and benefits offered through skills-based routing, demonstrating the benefit of proposed changes through testing scenarios using simulation software, capacity, and sensitivity analysis.
• Ability to direct the development of new software and develop in-house software to improve efficiency in a capacity planner role.
• Continually review ways in which to make improvements and make the capacity planning and manufacturing process more efficient.
• To be aware of and record business, resource, and seasonal changes, making appropriate resource plans for expected changes in profile and workloads, reporting on expected and experienced results.
• Create and lead capacity planning activities which meet delivery dates, business targets and optimise manufacturing efficiency and costs.
• Plan, organise, direct, and co-ordinate the activities and resources necessary for production in glass manufacturing industry including maintenance of glass processing machines.
• Preparing optimisation reports for production of glass. Working with estimation department if glass is shaped or oversized.
• Coordinating with suppliers to maintain stock of raw material needed for production. o Follow through to deliveries to ensure correct orders are being made to specification, packed securely and delivered to the highest quality.
• Knowledgeable about glass processing machines and understands the potential impact of machine breakdowns on production therefore able to be flexible and quick to respond to ensure production continuity.
• Review systems and methods to continually improve plans so that the organisation can better anticipate customers and production needs.
• Assess existing capacity and draw up forecasts based on future plans for demand.
• Communicate plans and forecasts to internal management and review plans to ensure efficient resource utilisation.
• Analyse specifications and capacity and undertake appropriate calculations to estimate job requirements, in terms of labour, tools, materials and resources.
• Continually monitor and review plans and make appropriate adjustments in the event of changes and unforeseen circumstances.
• Ensure that the right tools and processes are in place to deliver effective capacity planning and performance monitoring across the organisation.
• Reconcile variances from original plans and maintain a view of actual against forecast projections.
• Carry out daily meetings supplying relevant data, provide updates on plans and highlight concerns relating to actual or potential issues daily and providing brief meeting minutes.
• Ability to communicate with clients to inform unforeseen delays and problems. Respond to customer complaints and give after sales support to customer when requested.
• To deliver effective & accurate reports detailing key performance indicators and commentary relating to workforce and shift performance, identifying the proposed and actual shift efficiency factors and clearly stating all assumptions applied.
• Adhere to health, safety and environmental policies and procedures to ensure the safety and wellbeing of self, other staff and visitors.
• Set department objectives/KPIs and review ways in which to enhance the performance of the capacity planning department and add value.
• To prepare for and attend reviews and appraisals, taking responsibility for self-development and training.
• Escalate any issues to Management or others in the organisation particularly when there is risk which could prevent the organisation meeting customer demands or where there are over capacity concerns.
• Report of achievement of targets and identify any actions required
*Please note, this job description does not limit your responsibilities and you must perform any other tasks or duties assigned by management.